Website Greenburgh Nature Center
Greenburgh Nature Center
Ecology & Conservation Internship
Research and Stewardship Program
Who we are:
The Greenburgh Nature Center is a 33-acre nature preserve in the heart of lower Westchester County in
Scarsdale, New York.
To inspire passion, curiosity, respect, and action for our natural world.
6-8+ week paid Ecology & Conservation Internship(s) -Full time and Part time, multiple positions.
Greenburgh Nature Center facilitates the training and knowledge-building of young professionals to
become future conservationists. ECI interns are typically undergraduates, learning conservation skills
between semesters, or young professionals just outside of a formal education setting. With a focus on
native plants, our internship program provides hands-on training in conservation skills, applied ecology,
research & data collection and facilitates the interaction with conservation practitioners throughout the
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate(s) must be able to work both independently with minimal supervision and
cooperatively as a team with:
● Experience in biology, environmental science, botany, ecology, and/or natural resource
● Familiarity with or a desire to learn more about habitats and ecosystem restoration.
● Interest in native plants, including basic plant identification skills.
● Excellent organization and high level of attention to detail
● Excellent interpersonal communication skills
● Ability to problem-solve
● High degree of initiative
● Desire to learn and contribute
● Ability to communicate with team individuals by virtual platforms, phone, email and in person.
● Working on the phone or computer for prolonged periods.
● Long hours in hot and humid conditions with possible bees, mosquitos and ticks.
● Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
● Work outdoors in variable weather conditions, on uneven terrain and under physically demanding
● Use handheld GPS units to inventory trees, map habitats and monitor invasive species.
● Ability to use power tools including weed-whackers and saws following completion of appropriate
● Supervises no staff, but will help plan and direct volunteers
● Exposure to recreation resource management
● Will learn about native plants, habitats, and techniques for managing invasive plant species.
● Opportunities to meet and learn from professionals in the field of conservation working in
nonprofits and municipal agencies.
● Gain essential skills in volunteer coordination, non-profit program administration, and cooperative
management of a municipal park.
● Opportunities to attend events, meetings, as well as online training and professional
Time, Location and Compensation
Position is 6-8+ weeks in duration and is based at Greenburgh Nature Center in Scarsdale, NY.
Flexible schedule with up to 35 hours of work per week @ $15/hour.
Greenburgh Nature Center is open to working with your college advisor regarding earning course credits.
Flexible terms between May 2023 and August 2023
To apply for this internship please submit a letter of interest and resume to
Position(s) open until filled.
Greenburgh Nature Center encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and
volunteers to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to being a
diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an effective and successful
organizational culture and mission.
The Greenburgh Nature Center prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation,
sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age,or any other status protected by the laws and regulations
in the locations where we operate.
Position is contingent on funding and public health related regulations. Final offers of employment are
contingent upon the successful completion of a background check that may include employment history,
national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and a driving check.
To apply for this job email your details to Tbrady@greenburghnaturecenter.org