New York School for the Deaf is in search of an Administrative Assistant to support our Middle/High School. This position is not a civil service position – no exam is required. Excellent benefits are offered including the opportunity to participate in the state’s pension plan (NYSLRS) and medical and dental benefits (NYSHIP).
- Reviews incoming mail, distribute routine matters to the appropriate department, and provides pertinent support material for all correspondence handled by the Principal.
- Regularly briefs the Principal on the status of current topics, projects, and activities.
- Handles phone requests to the Principal’s Office and takes action on those calls that do not require the Principal’s immediate attention or approval.
- Serves as communications contact between the Principal’s Office and other departments on campus.
- Drafts letters, memos, and reports for the Principal’s approval and/or signature.
- Use of PowerSchool for the following duties:
- Inputs all MS/HS student and staff class schedules, attendance records, progress reports, report cards, transcripts, discipline records
- Maintains correspondence and calendar for the Principal.
- Maintains required and appropriate student files, as well as general office files.
- Enters curriculum and student records into the computer.
- Maintains weekly information for the payroll department
- Prepares requisitions and requests for the purchase of supplies and materials for instructional services.
- Maintains records, reports, and requests for personal leave, professional leave, and sick days for the instructional staff.
- Completes projects assigned by the Principal, which may involve research, analysis and/or coordination with other school departments or outside agencies.
- Assists in the scheduling and coordination of all MS/HS events such as; school pictures, school assemblies, award ceremonies, senior activities, graduation, parent-teach conferences, and back-to-school night.
- Safeguards the confidentiality of information and materials.
- Provides clerical support to the Athletic Director in various capacities as needed
- Provides clerical support to the Guidance Counselor in various capacities as needed
- All other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- High school graduate with at least five years of administrative assistant experience.
- BA degree preferred.
- Knowledge of PowerSchool and IEP Direct preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as Google Apps
- Excellent coordination and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Fluency in American Sign Language and ability and willingness to improve
Applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless eligible for a medical or religious exemption in accordance with E.E.O.C. requirements.
SALARY: $40,000 – 47,500 annual
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org