Website New York School for the Deaf
REPORTS TO: Principal
BASIC FUNCTION: Plan and develop curriculum for instructing Deaf students in subject content areas as well as developing and implementing appropriate I.E.P. goals to address specific learning needs.
• Develop I.E.P.’s for assigned students. Confer with related services staff, educational staff, parents and school districts to write individual educational plans. Evaluate students’ progress with respect to their I.E.P.’s. Complete progress reports on I.E.P.s
• Attend I.E.P. reviews for each student with CSE representatives as required by law.
• Provide instruction in appropriate grade level subjects per approved curricula. Foster interest and develop skills in effective communication and provide multiple experiences for usage in school. Encourage effective communication at home and in the community.
• Continually review student progress on NY State Standards and NY State mandated assessment. Interpret and use results to develop instruction.
• Administer NWEA assessments and interpret NWEA MAPS . Use assessment results to develop instruction
• Communicate with parents through regular dialog between home and school, including Open House, “class home page” on-line, e-mails, news and letters and phone calls.
• Use audiovisual aids, videos, field trips and demonstrations to stimulate and encourage student interest and achievement in required subjects and enrichment courses.
• Present subject matter by using evidence based strategies for Deaf students including differentiated instruction to maximize understanding and to relate content to meaningful situations.
• Provide a leadership role within the classroom to establish mutual respect and motivation for learning in cooperative and inclusive groups.
• Participate actively in a team approach in cooperative teaching and planning with other teachers, counselors, psychologists, and behavioral consultants.
• Attend conventions, conferences and seminars to keep abreast of latest developments in teaching.
• All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
● New York State certification: Teacher of the Deaf
● New York State certification in a specific content area if required
● Master’s Degree in Deaf Education
● Experience in teaching deaf students preferred
● An SCPI level of Advanced preferred in American Sign Language
● Knowledge and experience with classroom management and methods of instructing Deaf
● Knowledge and experience with Mac computers
Applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 unless eligible for a
medical or religious exemption in accordance with E.E.O.C. requirements.
SALARY: Per the Fanwood Teacher’s Association contract. $52,486 – $118,603
TO APPLY: FAX Resume and cover letter to (914) 703-4004 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The New York School for the Deaf is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com